Try This Recipe: Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
If you could only have one food on a deserted island for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Mine would be Tacos! 🌮
I've started to dial in my nutrition more as I'm gearing up for that "beach bod", so instead of a total indulgence, I decided to prep Taco Stuff Sweet Potatoes this week.
Now, to be honest, there is probably nothing different from this recipe than making regular, corn/tortilla shell tacos - you are just using a big ol' delicious sweet potato.
But, sometimes it's just small substitutions that let you stay on your diet track.
So, here's to Tacos 🌮 and sticking to a diet plan! Enjoy!
- 1 # ground beef
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 cup fresh iceberg lettuce, shredded
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- Fresh salsa
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Pierce potatoes all over with a fork and bake in the oven, directly on rack, until soft (about 40 to 45 min. depending on the size of your potatoes).
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients for the taco seasoning.
- Melt some cooking fat in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and cook until soft and fragrant, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the ground beef to the skillet and cook until browned.
- Sprinkle the taco seasoning onto the beef, and stir to combine. (Add water if the seasoning is clumpy or mixture too dry)
- Cook the ground beef another minute or two and set aside.
- Using a sharp knife, make a lengthwise slit in each potato and push ends of each potato toward each other to open.
- Fill the potatoes with the ground beef and top with all the remaining vegetables.
- Serve with SALSA!